ML 2011 : IADIS International Conference Mobile Learning 2011
Call For Papers
Apologies for cross-postings. Please send to interested colleagues and students
-- CALL FOR PAPERS - Deadline for submissions (last call): 26 January 2011 --
IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE MOBILE LEARNING 2011
Avila, Spain, 10 to 12 March 2011
* Keynote Speaker (confirmed):
Professor Marcus Specht, Director Learning Labs Open Universiteit, Open University The Netherlands
* Conference background and goals
The IADIS Mobile Learning 2011 International Conference seeks to provide a forum for the discussion and presentation of mobile learning research. In particular, but not exclusively, we aim to explore the theme of mobile learning under the following:
• Pedagogical approaches and theories for mobile lifelong learning. For instance, situated, contextual and authentic mobile lifelong learning
• Social software for mobile learning
• Gaming, simulations and augmented reality for mobile learning
• Mobile learning in formal educational institutions
• Mobile learning in informal setting
• Tools, technologies, and platforms for mobile learning
• User studies of mobile learning
• Research methodologies and evaluation of mobile learning
• Ethical issues regarding mobile learning
Conference special theme: Mobile Lifelong Learning (mL3)
Lifelong learning (L3) has been defined as “All learning activity undertaken throughout life, with the aim of improving knowledge, skills and competencies within a personal, civic, social and/or employment-related perspective” (European Commission, 2002 p. 7). L3 qualifies a society as a context in which there are learning possibilities for those who want to learn (Fischer, 2001) and implies a shift from “provider-driven ‘education’ toward individualised learning” UNESCO (1999). Lifelong learning is: often self-directed, interest and needs driven; it occurs predominantly in informal and too-rich environments; and frequently implies a collaborative activity (Fischer & Sugimoto 2006) among learners transiting through learning events in life.
Early research in the design of mobile technologies for lifelong learning (Sharples, 2000) pointed to highly portable, individual, unobtrusive, available anywhere, adaptable to the learner's development, persistent, useful for everyday needs, and intuitive personal tools. Technological advancements have delivered mobile devices and applications which meet and surpassed early requirements and which have position mobile technologies as an essential part of the new ecology for lifelong learning.
* Format of the Conference
The conference will comprise of invited talks and oral presentations. The proceedings of the conference will be published in the form of a book and CD-ROM with ISBN, and will be available also in the IADIS Digital Library (accessible on-line).
Authors of the best published papers will be invited to publish extended versions of their papers in the "International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning (ISSN: 1941-8647)", in the IADIS Journal on Computer Science and Information Systems (ISSN: 1646-3692) and also in other selected Journals.
* Types of submissions
Full and Short Papers, Reflection Papers, Posters/Demonstrations, Tutorials, Panels and Doctoral Consortium. All submissions are subject to a blind refereeing process.
* Important Dates:
- Submission deadline: 26 January 2011
- Notification to Authors: 14 February 2011
- Final Camera-Ready Submission and Early Registration: Until 24 February 2011
- Late Registration: After 24 February 2011
- Conference: Avila, Spain, 10 to 12 March 2011
* Conference Location
The conference will be held in Avila, Spain.
IADIS Secretariat - IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE MOBILE LEARNING 2011
Rua Sao Sebastiao da Pedreira, 100, 3
1050-209 Lisbon, Portugal
Web site: http://www.mlearning-conf.org/
* Program Committee
Mobile Learning 2011 Program Chair
Inmaculada Arnedillo Sánchez, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Mobile Learning 2011 Conference Chair
Pedro Isaías, Universidade Aberta (Portuguese Open University), Portugal
Committee Members: *
* for committee list please refer to http://www.mlearning-conf.org/committees.asp
* Co-located events
Please also check the co-located events:
e-Society 2011 (http://www.esociety-conf.org/) - 10-13 March 2011
Information Systems 2011 (http://www.is-conf.org/) - 11-13 March 2011
* Registered participants in the Mobile Learning’ conference may attend e-Society and Information Systems conferences’ sessions free of charge.