SCIRS 2020 : First International Workshop on Smart Computing for Industrial and Real-World Systems
Call For Papers
Smart Comp 2020 - SCIRS Workshop
International Workshop on Smart Computing
for Industrial and Real-World Systems
14-17 June 2020
Now Taking Place from 14th September 2020 to 17th September 2020.
The safety and well-being of all conference participants is our priority. After evaluating the current COVID-19 situation, the organizing committee has decided to postpone IEEE SMARTCOMP 2020 from 22nd June to 25th June and reschedule it for 14th September 2020 to 17th September 2020. The conference will still take place in Bologna, Italy. Proceedings will not be cancelled, and publications will continue as planned. We regret any inconvenience this may cause, and your understanding is appreciated.
The spread of the Internet of Things (IoT) in industrial environments has fostered the development of new Industrial IoT (IIoT) applications and, more in general, the advent of the Industry 4.0 revolution. The current trend is towards the development of connected machines able to interact with each other as well as to send data and access cloud and Internet services. In particular, real-world industrial use cases are usually characterized by stricter Quality of Service (QoS) requirements compared with traditional IoT applications, especially in terms of reduced latency, limited (or no) packet loss, wide and guaranteed bandwidth. Moreover, the integration of consolidated Operational Technology (OT) processes and relatively novel Information Technology (IT) services poses novel challenging issues in terms of safety and security (e.g., cyber-attacks could compromise the functionalities of machines also representing a risk for human operators).
Smart components and services within industrial environments represent a novel and promising solution not only to better support QoS requirements, but also to more easily reconcile safety requirements of OT with the openness and dynamicity typical of the IT. Moreover, the emergence of edge devices equipped with relatively high computational, memory, and storage capabilities facilitates the adoption of these technologies. They are not only able to increase the efficiency of existing industrial processes, e.g., by more promptly identifying faulty machines to reduce the downtime and maximize OLE/OEE KPIs, but also to provide new business opportunities, e.g., by widening the market offering industrial equipment based on pay-per-use fees.
This workshop aims at bringing together researchers and practitioners interested in or working on innovative solutions for smart services in industrial environments. Experimental use cases based on real-world testbeds are particularly welcome. Topics of interests include but are not limited to:
* Real-world industrial shifting from Cloud to Fog computing
* Novel architectures for smart computing
* Middleware platforms for real-world industrial smart computing
* Integration between mobile systems and industrial smart infrastructures
* ML/AI and Edge computing in real-world shop floors
* Machine-to-machine communication, integration, and cooperation
* IoT systems for smart industrial applications
* Cyber-resiliency of industrial applications
* IT/OT integration and security
* Blockchain in industrial environments
* 5G for industrial business cases
* Innovative business models for real-world industrial smart computing
Paper submissions should be no longer than 6 pages (including references) and formatted according to the IEEE conference template. Papers must be submitted electronically through EDAS at https://edas.info/N27132 as PDF files.
All submitted papers will be subject to peer reviews by Technical Program Committee members and other experts in the field. All presented papers will be published in the SmartComp2020 conference proceedings and submitted to the IEEE Xplore Digital Library. All accepted papers will be EI indexed.
* Paper Registration Deadline: 08 May 2020
* Paper Submission Deadline: 15 May 2020
* Acceptance Notification: 30 May 2020
* Camera Ready Deadline: 15 June 2020
* Mirco Musolesi, University of Bologna, Italy and University College London, UK
* Carlo Giannelli, University of Ferrara, Italy