CSERC 2019 : 8th Computer Science Education Research Conference
Call For Papers
*** FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS ***
8th Computer Science Education Research Conference (CSERC '19)
Lordos Beach Hotel, Larnaca, Cyprus, November 18-20, 2019
*** Submission Deadline: May 3rd, 2019 ***
*** Proceedings to be published by ACM ICPS ***
The Computer Science Education Research Conference (CSERC) is an
international forum for researchers with interests in educational aspects of
all computing disciplines including computer science, computer engineering,
software engineering, and information systems. It embraces a broad view of
the current and future trends in computing education and aspires to be a
lively environment for presenting the latest research and empirical results.
Submissions to CSERC 2019 might cover, but are not limited to, the
• Specific educational subject matter, such as programming,
database systems, computer security, and modelling.
• Particular educational innovations, such as MOOCs, flipped-classroom,
game-based education, and E-Learning.
• Specific groups of students, such as first years, women, masters students,
minorities, impaired students.
• Broader topics, such as curriculum, group-work, assessment,
Original and unpublished submissions in all areas related to computing
education are invited in the following categories:
• Research Paper: Reporting theoretical or theoretically-informed empirical
studies undertaken to investigate a specific aspect or address a particular
problem in computing education.
• Experience Report: Describing a classroom innovation and an evaluation
of its impact.
• Software Report: Describing developed tools for supporting teaching,
learning or assessment in computing education.
Types of accepted submissions include:
• Full Paper (approximately 12 pages).
• Practical Report (about 6 pages).
• Poster (2 pages).
Templates for submissions can be found at the ACM SIG roceedings website,
Papers can be submitted using EasyChair:
Documents proposed for conference presentation should be high quality,
unpublished, original work and submitted on-line.
The official language of the conference is English.
Review Process and Publication
Papers submitted for presentation at the conference are reviewed by the
international Program Committee. The authors of the reviewed submissions
will receive constructive feedback provided by CSERC Program Committee.
Authors of papers presented at the conference will produce a final version
of the paper, which takes into account the discussions that were held during
the conference. The final versions of the papers accepted for presentation
at CSERC’19 will be published in the ACM Digital library.
At least one co-author of every accepted paper must register for the event
and present the paper.
• Abstract submission: Friday 3 May 2019
• Paper submission deadline: Tuesday 21 May 2019
• Notification of paper acceptance: Friday 30 August 2019
• Author registration: Friday 13 September 2019
• Early (non-author) registration: Friday 18 October 2019
• Submission of camera ready papers taking reviewer comments
in consideration: Thursday 19 December 2019
• Submission of paper final versions: Friday 10 January 2020
Colocation with ISSEP 2019
CSERC’19 co-locates with the 12th International Conference on Informatics
in Schools: Situation, Evolution and Perspectives (ISSEP 2019). ISSEP is a
forum for researchers and practitioners in the area of Informatics education,
in both primary and secondary schools. It provides an opportunity for
educators to reflect upon the goals and objectives of this subject matter,
its curricula and various teaching/learning paradigms and topics, possible
connections to everyday life and various ways of developing Informatics
Education in schools. Combining CSERC and ISSEP provides a unique
opportunity for educational researchers and practitioners to get a broad
and comprehensive overview of educational research initiatives taking place
at primary and secondary schools as well as higher education.
Program Committee Chair
Ebrahim Rahimi, Open Universiteit, The Netherlands
Program Committee Co-Chair
Dave Stikkolorum, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
George A. Papadopoulos, University of Cyprus, Cyprus
Evert van de Vrie, Open Universiteit, The Netherlands