IEEE VR - SIVE 2017 : SIVE 2017 : IEEE 3rd VR Workshop on Sonic Interactions for Virtual Environments
Call For Papers
Sonic interaction design is defined as the study and exploitation of sound as one of the principal channels conveying information, meaning, and aesthetic/emotional qualities in interactive contexts. This field lies at the intersection of interaction design and sound and music computing.
In the virtual reality community, the focus on research in topics related to auditory feedback has been rather limited when compared, for example, to the focus placed on visual feedback or even on haptic feedback. However, in communities such as the film community or the product sound design community it is well known that sound is a powerful way to communicate meaning and emotion to a scene or a product.
The main goal of this workshop is to increase among the virtual reality community the awareness of the importance of sonic elements when designing virtual environments. We will also discuss how research in other related fields such as film sound theory, product sound design, sound and music computing, game sound design and computer music can inform designers of virtual reality environments. Moreover, the workshop will feature state of the art research on the field of sound for virtual environments.
We expect participants to submit a research paper outlining their current research in the field of interactive sound for virtual environments.
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
1) Sound synthesis and design for virtual environments
2) Sound modelling and rendering for virtual environments
3) Sound spatialisation
4) Headphones and speakers reproduction
5) Binaural sound and head-related transfer functions
6) Gestural control of sound in virtual reality
7) Multisensory (audio-visual), (audio-haptics) interactions
8) Personalisation and customisation of virtual auditory displays
9) Navigation and way-finding through sonification
10) Evaluation of user experience and sound quality
11) Sound rendering for 360 videos
The submission website is: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sive17
* Papers should be 4-6 pages in length and prepared using the IEEE Computer Society conference style format described at:
* Posters should be 2-4 pages in length and prepared according to the same template.
Accepted papers will be included in the Workshop Proceedings and will be published on IEEExplore.
* Abstract submission deadline: January 26th, 2017
* Paper submission deadline: February 2nd, 2017
* Notification of acceptance: February 18th, 2017
* Camera-ready: March 1st, 2017
* Date of the event: March 19th, 2017 (9:00-15:00)
Stefania Serafin (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Rolf Nordahl (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Amalia de Götzen (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Cumhur Erkut (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Niels Christian Nilsson (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Francesco Grani (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Federico Avanzini (University of Padova)
Michele Geronazzo (University of Verona)