WCAMA 2009 : 1st Workshop of Applied Computing for the Management of the Environment and Natural Resources
Call For Papers
WCAMA 2009 - I Workshop de Computação Aplicada à Gestão do Meio Ambiente e Recursos Naturais
WCAMA 2009 – 1st Workshop of Applied Computing for the Management of the Environment and Natural Resources
Co-located with XXIX Brazilian Computing Society Congress
Bento Gonçalves, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
July 21-24, 2009.
*** CALL FOR PAPERS ***
The WCAMA (1st Workshop of Applied Computing for the Management of the Environment and Natural Resources) has the main goal to promote the integration, in an effective way, between computing (methodologies and tools) and environment (politics and management).
The natural resources management is a complex and dynamic activity. It demands the integration between actors of different areas, as social and technology sciences to be done.
Specifically in computer science, there are three main challenges to develop methodologies and tools to natural resources management: i) data management and communication to huge number of data; ii) techniques to data analysis; iii) optimization and control of existent data and the integration of new data.
*** Scope ***
The workshop will cover the whole range of research and applications in methodologies, techniques and computational tools applied on environment management and natural resources, including but not limited to:
• Flooded areas and wetlands
• Priority areas for conservation
• Noise and environment
• Control of air pollution
• Urban ecology
• Solid waste management
• Water resources management
• Natural resources management and global environmental changes
• Environmental policies
• Soil pollution
• Upgrading the environment
• Reduction of gas emissions
• Environmental sanitation and waste treatment
• Health and environment
• Society and environment
• Environmental sustainability
• Transport and environment
*** Papers Format***
The papers must have written in Portuguese or in English, with the format of Brazilian Computer Society available in http://www.sbc.org.br/template. Papers are not in this format will not be considered.
The paper must be sent to evaluate without the authors name (blind review). To be evaluating, the papers must obey this rule.
There are two types of submission:
• Full Papers: it has between 6 (six) and 10 (ten) pages. These papers will be presented orally.
• Abstract Papers/Software Demonstration: is has between 2 (two) and 4 (four) pages. This kind of paper should present a specification/proposal of software inside the scope of workshop. These papers will be presented by demonstration session.
*** Paper Submission ***
Submission must be electronic using the JEMS system at:
*** Important Dates***
March 20, 2009 – Registration and Submission Deadline (Extended)
April 20, 2009 – Notification of accepted papers
May 18, 2009 – Camera-Ready Deadline
July 24, 2009 – Workshop
*** Invited Talks***
• Jean-Pierre Müller (CIRAD/ Montpellier University/France)
• Carlos Nobre (CPTEC/INPE/Brazil)
• Marilton Sanchotene de Aguiar, UCPel - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Diana Francisca Adamatti, UCPel - email@example.com