ISEA 2016 : ISEA 2016 - 22nd International Symposium on Electronic Art
Call For Papers
# Call for Participation
22nd International Symposium on Electronic Art
ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Cultural R)evolution
Electronic media exemplifies the dual meaning of revolution: to always create new while returning to the old. In this dynamic, where multiple centers and margins compete for attention, and borders to be transgressed are shifting, paradigms and practices must be replaced, repackaged and re-appropriated to keep up with the parallel evolutions in art, creativity, culture, society, and politics.
We invite full and short papers, panel and roundtable discussions, posters, artist talks / work-in-progress presentations, proposals for artworks (including concerts and performances) and events in public space responding to the above main theme of the symposium and/or to one or more of the subthemes described below. We also invite proposals for workshops/tutorials, institutional presentations, applications for KAF x FUSE ISEA2016HK Residency Program, and, proposals for OPEN SKY GALLERY ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Project for ICC.
## Topics of ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港
* The New Geopolitics of (Art-)Making: D.I.Y. Ontologies & (De)institutionalization
* Game Over - Play Again Y/N
* The Animal and the Technological: Para/Post-Human Paradoxes
* Massless: Liquid E-Occupy
* Code, Language, Network, Politics
* Noise Contra Signal
* Biopolitics/biopower: Genetics (G), Nanotechnology (N) and Robotics (R)
* New Media and Cultural Heritage
## Important dates
* August 2015 Call for submissions opens
* 20 September 2015 Deadline for KAF x FUSE ISEA2016HK Residency Program applications
* 15 October 2015 Early Bird submission deadline for artworks
* 15 November 2015 Notifications of acceptance for Early Bird artworks
* 30 November 2015 Deadline for artwork proposals, full and short papers, panel proposals, abstracts of posters/demonstrations, and, proposals for workshops and tutorials
* 30 November 2015 Deadline for OPEN SKY GALLERY ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Project for ICC
* December 2015 Notifications of acceptance for proposals for workshops and tutorials
* January 2016 Notification of acceptance for artworks, full and short papers, panel proposals and posters/demonstrations
* February 2016 Deadline for artist talk / work-in-progress presentations, and Institutional Presentations
* March 2016 Notifications of acceptance for artist talks / work-in-progress presentations and Institutional Presentations
* March 2016 Deadline for camera-ready versions of all materials to be included in proceedings (full and short papers, panel abstracts, and poster/demonstration abstracts)
* May 2016 Publication of ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Proceedings
* 16-22 May 2016 ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Cultural R)evolution
Organizers of ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 reserve the right to change the above dates and deadlines
## How to submit
We request that all submissions follow the citation style specified in ISEA2016HK Editorial Standards and are formatted according to the ISEA2016HK submission template. Please submit online by following the instructions at at the ISEA2016 online submission system.
## About peer review at ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港
Full and short paper submissions and panel and roundtable discussions will be double blind peer reviewed by members of International Programme Committee (IPC). Chairs make the final decisions of acceptance/rejection based on IPC’s recommendations.
Full and short papers, abstracts of panels and roundtable discussions will be published in the Proceedings. Proposals for artworks for the juried exhibition will be single-blind peer reviewed (i.e. reviewers know the identity of the artist, but artist does not know the identity of the reviewer) by jury comprising of members of International Programme Committee (IPC) and organizing committee members. Workshops/Tutorials, and Artist Talks / Work-in-Progress Presentations will be selected by appropriate chairs based on their quality and relevance to the Symposium. Institutional presentations are selected, based on their relevance to the ISEA mission, by the organizing committee members.
Names of organizing committee and IPC members will be published on the Symposium website.
## Submission formats
We invite submissions in a number of different categories. Please note the different deadlines and requirements for submissions in different categories.
Full papers with oral presentations, peer-reviewed Short papers with oral presentations, peer-reviewed Panel discussions, peer-reviewed Posters / demonstrations Artist talks / work-in-progress presentations Artworks for the juried exhibition, peer-reviewed Workshops and Tutorials Institutional Presentations Events in Public Space
## Call for Applications: KAF x FUSE ISEA2016HK Residency Program
ISEA2016HK in partnership with K-11 Art Foundation (KAF) will host a number of artists-in-residence, to create works addressing the themes of ISEA2016HK, at KAF studios in Wuhan, China, during the period Oct 15th 2015 – May 15th 2016. KAF Studios in Wuhan will provide residency and art production support to the selected artists. Duration of each residency is 2 to 6 weeks dependent on the proposed project’s complexity. All forms and media are open for consideration. Exhibition of art created in the residency will occur in Hong Kong during ISEA2016HK, and an award will be announced for best artwork at the exhibition opening. Deliverables expected from successful applicants include:
* Artist Presentation for professional networking
* Artist Presentation for general public in art education
* Artist Open Studio at Wuhan Artist Village at the end of the residency to create dialogue with general public as well as local art community
* Documentation and behind-the-scenes interview created in conjunction with artist
* Group exhibition of all artist-residents at K-11 in Hong Kong (and possibly other venues, e.g. City University of Hong Kong, Cyberport, HK Science Park etc.), presence at the opening of the exhibition(s) during ISEA2016HK.
To apply, please prepare an application, including the following:
Name and contact info
Bio (200 words max)
Project description (200-800 words)
Impact statement (200-600 words)
Deadline for applications is 23:59 (HK time) on 20 September 2015. Please send your application in PDF format by email to: FUSE@isea2016.hk.
Applications will be selected by a panel comprising of ISEA2016HK organizers and representatives of KAF, based on their creative merit, relevancy to the themes of ISEA2016HK, disruptiveness of the research, and impact to the community. For more information and questions, please email the KAF x FUSE ISEA2016HK Residency Program coordinators at FUSE@isea2016.hk.
## OPEN SKY GALLERY ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Project for ICC
ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 in partnership with the OPEN SKY PROJECT – a joint effort of City University of Hong Kong School of Creative Media and International Commerce Centre (Sun Hung Kai Properties) – offers an opportunity to artists to present 77 000 sqm video projects on an urban media screen on the facade of the highest tower in Hong Kong: the ICC (484m). This screen can be seen simultaneously by more than 1 000 000 people. Synchronized sound, artist statements, and other info will be displayed through a mobile app.
Deadline for proposals is 23:59 (HK time) on 30 November 2015. Authors of successful proposals will be notified by the end of December 2015, and will be required to submit their final video files for a second round of review by end of February 2015. To submit your work, please follow the instructions on the Open Sky Campus website.
The projects will be selected by the Open Sky Gallery Curator in association with the Open Sky Gallery Advisory board and the ICC. Displayed on 3 sides of the building; the black and white video should respect the ICC technical and ethical requirements. The project should take into consideration the specificity of large scale content in public space.
For further information, please refer to the Open Sky website or contact the Open Sky Project coordinators by email at email@example.com.
ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 is co-organised by:
* City University of Hong Kong, School of Creative Media
* The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, School of Design
* Microwave Festival
Find ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 on Facebook
For questions concerning KAF x FUSE ISEA2016HK Residency Program and OPEN SKY GALLERY ISEA2016 Hong Kong 香港 Project for ICC, please contact the programme coordinators mentioned above. For questions concerning all other types of submissions and ISEA2016 Hong Kong in general, please contact the symposium chairs by email, using the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.