ESBD 2015 : The First International Workshop on Educational and Scholarly Big Data Analytics
Call For Papers
The First International Workshop on Educational and Scholarly Big Data Analytics
In conjunction with the 7th Asia Conference on Machine Learning (ACML2015)
We invite submissions to the workshop on Educational and Scholarly Big Data Analytics in conjunction with 7th Asia Conference on Machine Learning (ACML2015), to be held on November 20-22, 2015 at Hong Kong, SAR, China.
We particularly solicit submissions that look into machine learning applications on educational and scholar big data with an actual impact in the future of learning, teaching and researching. Appreciating this impact requires an interdisciplinary approach and the coming together of different stakeholders. The workshop will therefore bring practitioners and industry representatives together with researchers from computer science, machine learning and data mining, social network analysis, artificial intelligence in education, intelligent tutoring systems, education, learning sciences, psychometrics, statistics and cognitive psychology.
The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Systems, platforms and services exploring the Web of education or academic
- Methods and tools for analyzing academic or educational data
- Academic social network analysis
- Mining user’s learning and research behavior
- Identifying research trends and topics
- Indexing and searching in large scale academic data
- Application and use case of educational or scholarly data
- Information Extracting for scholarly data
- Scientific measurement
- Learning representations of domain knowledge from data
- Detecting and addressing students’ emotional states
- Data mining with emerging pedagogical environments such as MOOCs, and exploratory learning
- Mining results of automated feedback and grading
- Mining results of learning resources usage logs
- Practices for adapting analytic techniques from information retrieval, recommender systems, social network analysis, opinion mining, auto scoring, and user profiling to the educational domain
- Generic frameworks, techniques, research methods and approaches for educational big data
The workshop invites original research contributions as well as reports on prototype systems from research communities dealing with different theoretical and applied aspects of academic or educational data. Submissions will be evaluated on the basis of significance, originality, technical quality, and exposition. Papers should clearly establish the research contribution, and relation to previous research. Position and survey papers are also welcome.
Papers should be written in English and formatted according to ACML regular paper format. The maximum length of papers is 10 pages in this format. Please download the file ACML2015_Template.zip for the LaTex template and style file (the files are extracted from http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/jmlr.html. you may also download and use the entire package from there).
Papers should be submitted to ESBD2015 Submission Site at https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/ESBD2015.
Based on the quality, papers accepted will be advised to submit their extended version to special issues of Journal of Electronic Science and Technology or Neurocomputing.
- Paper Submission: September 11, 2015
- Author Notification: September 30, 2015
- Camera-Ready: October 30, 2015
Invited Speakers (Tentative)
- Irwin King, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Jie Tang, Tsinghua University
- Tao Zhou, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, China
- Zenglin Xu, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, China
- Jie Tang, Tsinghua University, China
- Yu Liu, Dalian University of Technology
- Defu Lian, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, China