SMBM 2014 : 6th International Symposium on Semantic Mining in Biomedicine
Conference Series : Semantic Mining in Biomedicine
Call For Papers
Sixth International Symposium on Semantic Mining in Biomedicine (SMBM 2014)
October 6th and 7th, University of Aveiro, Portugal
SMBM 2014 aims to bring together researchers from text and data mining in biomedicine, medical, bio- and chemoinformatics, and researchers active in biomedical ontology design and engineering, and the Semantic Web. The combined research helps to promote full integration of data and factual content from large text collections, biological databases, ontological and terminological resources, and from the Web.
We are inviting papers from a full range of topics (see below), emphasizing in particular work on methods deployed in a production-like research environment, user-facing applications of text mining technology, the integration of text with domain resources such as content from reference databases (e.g., UniProt, EntrezGene, OMIM) and semantic resources such as GO, UMLS etc. We also welcome contributions from across the biomedical domains, including genomics, translational medicine, clinical practice, and public health.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
• Development and use of biomedical semantic resources
• Terminology and ontology development for biomedical information systems including terminology evolution
• Integration of text and data mining in the biomedical domain
• (Semantic) Web mining of biomedical information
• Text mining, information extraction, and information retrieval for the biomedical domain
• Evaluation techniques and standards for text mining solutions
• Annotation schemes for biomedical corpora
• Text mining for resource building, e.g. ontologies, and resource enrichment, e.g., biomedical databases
• Representation and discovery of biomedical domain knowledge
• Image/caption processing in relation to content extraction
• Domain-specific reasoning processes, e.g., to infer non-explicit information, validation (trust-worthiness, believability, safety) of extracted information
• Integration of text mining in biological database curation workflows
All accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings that will be available online. We invite three categories of papers: full research papers, short papers and system papers. Research papers will be given an oral presentation, short papers a poster presentation, and systems papers will be presented in systems demonstration sessions. System papers should describe an implemented system related to a topic of interest that the authors will demonstrate live during the symposium. The final modality of presentation will be decided by the organizing committee.
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit an extended version for publication in a special issue of the Journal of Biomedical Semantics (JBMS), an open-access journal published by BioMed Central (BMC).
Submissions should follow the ACL instructions for authors, with a maximal limit of 8 pages. The recommended length for system papers and poster submissions is four (4) pages. Manuscripts will be submitted electronically as PDF files. Reviewing will be double-blind, and submissions should therefore NOT contain author names or other obviously identifying information.
• Full paper submission deadline: June 20th 2014
• Poster and system demonstration paper submission deadline: July 4th 2014
• Notification of acceptance for full papers: July 21st 2014
• Notification of poster and system demonstration papers: July 28th 2014
• Symposium dates: October 6-7th 2014