ICGI 2008 : 9th International Colloquium on Grammatical Inference
Conference Series : International Colloquium on Grammatical Inference
Call For Papers
9th International Colloquium on Grammatical Inference
AREAS OF INTEREST
All aspects of grammatical inference including, but not limited to:
* Different models of grammar induction: e.g., learning from examples, learning using examples and queries, incremental versus non-incremental learning, distribution-free models of learning, learning under various distributional assumptions, learnability results, complexity results, characterizations of representational and search biases of grammar induction algorithms.
* Algorithms for induction of different classes of languages and automata: e.g., regular, context-free, and context-sensitive languages, interesting subclasses of the above under additional syntactic constraints, tree and graph grammars, picture grammars, multidimensional grammars, attributed grammars, parameterized models, etc.
* Theoretical and experimental analysis of different approaches to grammar induction including artificial neural networks, statistical methods, symbolic methods, information-theoretic approaches, minimum description length, complexity-theoretic approaches, heuristic methods, etc.
* Broader perspectives on grammar induction, e.g. acquisition of grammar in conjunction with language semantics, semantic constraints on grammars, language acquisition by situated agents and robots, acquisition of language constructs that describe objects and events in space and time, developmental and evolutionary constraints on language acquisition, statistical modelling of natural language, etc.
* Historically the roots of grammatical inference have been in the modelling of first language acquisition by human infants: we especially invite submissions that address this theme, directly or indirectly.
The conference will include plenary and invited talks, software demonstrations and possibly poster presentations of accepted papers and tutorials.
The proceedings of ICGI-2008 will be published by Springer-Verlag.
SUBMISSION OF PAPERS
Prospective authors are invited to submit a draft paper which represents original and previously unpublished work. Simultaneous submission to other conferences with published proceedings is not allowed. The paper should be written in English with the following format.
The cover page should specify: submission to ICGI-2008, title, authors and affiliation, mailing address, phone, fax, and e-mail address of the contact author, a brief abstract describing the work, at least three keywords which can specify typically the contents of the work. Postscript versions of the papers should not exceed 12 single spaced pages (excluding the cover page) on A4 or letter-size paper, and should be in single-column format using at least 1 inch margins and at least 11-point font. Submissions deviating significantly from these guidelines will be rejected without review.
The technical exposition should be directed to a specialist and should include an introduction understandable to a non specialist that describes the problem studied and the results achieved, focusing on the important ideas and their significance.
All paper submissions, review and notification of acceptance will be done electronically through the conference's WWW pages (http://icgi08.irisa.fr).
* Submission of manuscripts: May 20, 2008
* Notification of acceptance: June 20, 2008
* Final version of manuscript: July 14, 2008